For a while now, I have been really feeling a need to get 72 hour kits for the kids put together. I think I had a lot of the stuff I needed, but it wasn't all organized together in a nice little package. So I started doing a little research. When I saw THIS LITTLE BLOG POST, I wrote down my list and headed to the store.
Here are a few of the things I put in my. It isn't complete yet, but it's a pretty good start. I will put my full list at the bottom. Feel free to add any ideas you have or think of things I have missed. (I have a larger kit for the family that has a lot more stuff)
The kids really got into it. They were great helpers. This started a great discussion about emergencies and what our plan is.
I went to the DI and got 3 backpacks for $6 because my kids don't have old ones yet. Superman, Princess, and Dora. It was like it was meant to be. Halle's has rolling wheels because I thought that might be easiest for her at this age. Hopefully the other kids can carry theirs.
I put everything in categorized ziplock bags. This way it stays dry and when it needs to be replaced then I just grab that bag.
All packed and ready to go. I hope we never have to use these, but I love the feeling of having them just in case.
MY LIST:
Clothes: long sleeve shirt, sweat pants, jacket, 3 underwear, 2 socks, hat, gloves, poncho, shoes.
*With a long sleeve shirt and sweat pants, you can cut the sleeves and pants off if it is hot weather. That way you don't have to pack short stuff as well. My Walmart has sweats on sale for $1 right now. And my shoes didn't fit inside so maybe I'll tie them on to the outside.
Food: 2-3 water bottles, emergency food, granola bars, sucky candy, pack of gum, dried fruit, flavor packets for water, water purification tablets
*I have 3500 calorie bars and other emergency food in my pack. These are more just comfort food for the kids.
Emergency Supplies: emergency blanket, hot hands, whistle/compass, pocket knife, face mask, fire starter, small first aid kit
*I found almost all of this stuff for pretty cheap on the camping aisle.
Hygiene: toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick, soap, washcloth, antibac gel, tissues, sunscreen, shampoo
*travel size aisle had all of this.
Light: flashlight, batteries, matches, candle, glowstick
* camping aisle and dollar store
Misc: Money (small bills and coins), copies of important papers--ssn, family picture--maybe laminated?, emergency contact numbers, etc...paper, crayons, pen, card game, ??
I also want to tie a blanket on somehow.
Other Resources:

3 comments:
This is wonderful. I love that they got into it ... maybe you could do some sort of dice game - we do Zilch, but that seems advanced for your kiddos.
I just love it.
What an awesome idea!!!! Love it and I am so going to do the same thing! Thanks for the ideas!!!!
thanks for sharing...such a great idea! I'm going to do the same!
Post a Comment