Saturday, June 12, 2010

I'm a Scab.

I'm not the most adventurous person.  I like to have my schedule and lists.  I like to be comfortable.  This this week was different for me.  I took a risk and it turned into an adventure.
I heard about a one-day nursing strike going on in Minnesota.   The company finding replacements would fly me out there, pay for my hotel, give me food, and pay me a LOT of money to go to a 4- hour orientation and work one 12-hour shift. So I called my friend Melissa.  She's always up for an adventure.  (in fact, we have another one coming up in a few weeks--stay tuned!)
We got our travel plans set and flew to Minneapolis together.  We had a LONG orientation/check-in that day.  They had us staying in the Marriott and Embassy Suites, both VERY nice.  We had to get up early (3am) so they could bus us to the hospital and get us in before the striking nurses left.  We were walked in by an army of police.  They were very thorough with our safety.  We never even saw the people on strike.   I worked at the Children's hospital in St. Paul.  Twelve hours later, very tired, they took me back to the hotel and I got up early again to catch my flight back.  Whew!  I was gone about 48 hours.  
Minnesota was beautiful.  The Mall of America was HUGE!  The weather was beautiful and the people were SO nice to us!  You can read more about it HERE.  
**Thank you Melissa!  I loved every crazy minute.  See ya soon!
***And for the record, I am not against unions.  I was actually in a nursing union in Missouri.  I am just pro $$$. :)

5 comments:

Weight Family said...

Cool, wish I could do somen' cool like that. PS-know what ya mean about it being hard to cut the curls, but she's a doll either way. Miss ya!

Kim said...

That is so awesome! Wish I would have gone with you. I heard about the strike on the way to work the other morning. I have to say that picture looks a lot like the old clinic (ha, ha).

Melissa said...

Show me the money!! Yes--would totally do it again--had a very memorable time. See you soon!

Kari said...

Wow! Sounds like it was a fun & hectic time! I'm glad you were able to do that!

Bec said...

Wow, how crazy! And what an adventure! I'm proud of you for trying it. That sort of thing is also out of my comfort zone, so I totally understand the trepidation. Again, impressive. Thanks for sharing!