Sunday, August 16, 2009

ER (not the show)


So I finally get to go to Shanna's book club on Thursday night. I think I had been talking about it since before moving here. It was great. I enjoyed discussing the book, visiting with the girl, treats...book club stuff. Everybody decided to go to the movie. I thought I would call Mike and tell him our plans and I notice I have 3 text messages. They came in this order (backwards).

1. From Luey (MIL): The kids are with me. Just wanted you to know.
I think, "What? Weird. I wonder where Mike went."
2. From Mike: I am at the Instacare on 4th North. My phone is almost dead. Come as soon as you can!
Now I am freaking out.
3. From Mike: I need you to come home NOW and tell me if Savanna's arm is broken.

Now I am practically hysterical and in tears. I called Mike and he didn't answer or his phone was dead. Called Luey and find out that last she heard they were headed to the ER because the instacare closed at 8pm and they got there at 8:10. She also told me that Carter was in his room because it was probably his fault. By now it is 9 so I am really freaking out. Good thing Shanna was there to think calmly and run me over to the hospital behind the slowest driving car I had ever encountered. Luckily, we were just a few minutes away. I ask the lady at the desk if Savanna was there and she says that her name sounded familiar. Great, just what I wanted to hear. They took us back and she was sitting with her blanket on Mike's lap in an exam room. The Dr. came in shortly after to check her out. Turns out Carter had been trying to pull her over the back of the couch and had twisted her arm in a weird way. The Dr. guessed her elbow was dislocated so he said he'd pop it back in and if she was using her arm within the next 15 minutes he wouldn't x-ray it and we would assume it wasn't broken. SO, she didn't like the popping back in part, but when they brought her a popsicle 10 minutes later, she reached for it with her right (injured) hand so we knew she would be ok. One hour later we were discharged. How's that for some excitement? She was sort of careful with it the next day and I am happy to report she is back to normal now. I, on the other hand, am $600 poorer so I if you are going to feel sorry for anybody then it should be me! These things always happen when I am gone (Carter's broken leg). I am not blaming them on Mike at all, it is just always at night when they aren't with me. That was our exciting Thursday night. Hope yours was less eventful. And thank you Shanna for being there with me. You were a calming influence for sure! Book club next month?? Halle hasn't been sick for a while...it's about her turn...
Photobucket

15 comments:

Alldredge Memories said...

Seriously---you have the worst luck ever! I would have freaked out too! Glad she is o.k. though. $600 is the going rate for a popsicle these days? I hope they gave a her a sticker too! LOL!

Melissa Hernandez said...

omg, I am so sorry! I hate the ER, it scares me more than kids I think! I hope she is up and feeling good. I hope the pool opens back up this week, I am itchin for some aerobics!

Kourtney said...

Poor Savanna! I'm glad she is back to normal and I am sorry about the bill. I have an $800 bill for a nerve conduction test and I have insurance! Lame!

Rachel said...

Oh, so sad! I would have really been freaking out, too. Glad Savanna is doing better, and that you were able to enjoy at least some of your book club.

Kylene said...

I read the title and said to myself, "Oh no! Not the E.R.!!" I'm glad it wasn't too serious.

Seriously, they charge WAY too much for the smallest things. Drives me crazy. I do feel bad for you. :(

Weight Family said...

Oh man! Glad she is okay. Weird how stuff like that happens when you aren't around, huh?

Jenny said...

Soooo glad she is ok!!!! :)

Kari said...

Yikes! I hate that feeling! I'm so glad she is okay!

Kaycee said...

Um... maybe you need a babysitter for your "babysitter." ;)

MinDee said...

Ohh...Steph I 'm so sorry! What a story! Poor Savanna! I'm glad everything turned out ok. Luv u guys!

Mandie said...

Oh No! I'm glad she is okay!!

Gina said...

Poor girl! I'm glad it wasn't broken, but i'm sure it was very stressful all the same!

Shanna said...

That WAS a slow driver, huh? I think you must have been in a state of shock because I don't remember being the calm one! But I am glad I could be there with you. Definitely book club next month! Stay healthy Halle:)

Melissa said...

Too bad you don't have awesome neighbors that could have put her elbow back in place for free--that happened to McAli a few times! :)

bladenfamily said...

I probably wouldn't have taken her if I had been home to see it. Don't your just rotate it laterally while you hold her elbow and it just pops back in?