Saturday, January 17, 2009

An ode to chickpeas.

Ok. I have been a little obsessed with chickpeas lately. I think they are delicious. Just listen to this. One serving of chickpeas has 7.6 grams of dietary fiber, 9 grams of protein, as much calcium as yogurt, and they help keep insulin levels steady (if you have heard about the glycemic index). They are low in calories and have only a small bit of polyunsaturated fat. Isn't that great?
If you aren't sure yet, try some of these recipes. They are great for you!
Hummus:

Chocolate Chip Cookies
(You can tell these are healthy, but they do taste good. And if you have to eat a cookie, this is a good option if you're trying to be healthy!)

These recipes came from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I have blogged about this before. She hides veggies and other healthy things in her recipes. I made one of her chicken recipes with butternut squash, pineapple, coconut, and flax seed for dinner the other night and it was delicious! Savanna ate three big pieces of chicken. If you want the recipe, let me know and I can send it to you. And if your kids (or spouse) won't eat veggies, then give this a shot. It is amazing what you can hide without changing the taste!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Great recipes, and such cute recipe cards!

I've been missing you, too--I was thinking just yesterday we should "play" this week. Call me and let me know what day works for you.

Alldredge Memories said...

Good idea! I'm going to try the cookies!

Melissa said...

I got that cook book for my birtday last year, and I have yet to cook anything from it, I really need to get it out and wipe the dust off it! The hummus recipe made me giggle, because we watched Don't mess with the Zohan last night, and I think they show hummus like every 2 minutes in the movie. Kind of random, I know.

Kylene said...

I would love the recipe! I have picked up that cook book at least 5 times at the store trying to decide if I should buy it. I will try out those cookies for sure. Please, send me any of your favorites. I am always up for more creative recipes, especially if I can sneak extra veggies in. Thanks!

ps. your kids are darling and little Halle is growing so fast. Her blessing pictures are precious, as well as the photoshoot the two of you had together.

pps. I'm still laughing over Carter sneaking his underwear to church!

Kylene said...

Will you just email me the chocolate chop cookie recipe? I tried to copy and paste it but I think because it is a jpg it won't let me. :(

Melissa said...

I'm in--I bought some beans last night!! Yummy