Tuesday, January 13, 2009

For me...





On Monday, Shanna and I hiked to the very top of this tall mountain. We walked straight up the very front of it. It was exhilarating! We could see everything from the top! I can't even begin to tell you all the good it did for me. I got to spend hours talking to a wonderful friend (an adult, no less!), I burned hundreds and hundreds of calories, and had an afternoon away from the kids. Let's face it, that is needed every once in a while. I felt like my old, in-shape self (which I am totally not, by my old self would have been good at this sort of thing).


Funny-I just sat on a cactus. It hurt.


I know this isn't the best picture, but the sun was behind us (off the cliff) and we didn't have anybody to take our picture.

Then this morning I got to take a tennis lesson. I have played tennis since I was pretty young. I played in high school and college. But since I started having kids I haven't had the chance to play much. It was AMAZING! I love the feeling of hitting the ball. One of my very favorite sounds in the entire world is a tennis ball bouncing. The tennis club even got a baby sitter for my kids. It really made my day. I am going to try to come and play every week. They have different lessons and match play and they told me I could be in the advanced group. Can you just imagine my huge smile?? I feel like I haven't been advanced at anything for quite some time unless you count diaper changing, lunch making, or story reading. I felt like my old self again. I am so happy to be a mother to three special kids, but I realized I have sacrificed a lot. I am happy to do it! It was just fun to do something totally for me. These are things that used to make me so happy and I haven't done them for a while. So, I guess I'm trying to say that I think all the mom's out there should do something for yourself--this week! It really made a big difference for me and I think it will for you, too. Do something you used to love but haven't found the time to do lately. Shoot! Come and play tennis with me. The weather is gorgeous!

This is when I played for the University of Missouri. I miss my legs!:)

12 comments:

Michelle and Caleb said...

That is so great for you. I love that feeling when you realize "wow I really do love that". Keep it up and you always look amazing. I love you!

Lauren and James said...

I've been getting that feeling that I've sacrificed alot to be a mommy, I'm glad you got to go play tennis! Wow, that pic brings back some memories!

Mindy said...

Your legs looked awesome in that picture, but let's be honest - you have good legs now.
I'll work on coming down for the superbowl. If we can't come then, I'll make him come another weekend. We'll bring tennis stuff for sure .... and let's hike.

Natalee and Randy said...

Amen, sister! We do sacrifice a lot! I agree that you need to do something just for YOU once in a while. I'm sure it feels great. I'm going to follow your advice and attempt to do something for ME this week! Thanks for the motivation!

Natalee and Randy said...

Oh, and I would come play tennis with you...but we've already seen my lame attempt at that, a while ago in YW, remember? He he...and it wasn't pretty. :) Let me know if you want to go hang out sometime!

Kelie said...

Look at you...wonder woman! Way to go hiking up that mountain. I bet the view was beautiful! We need to plan a play date at that washington pool!!

Melissa said...

I miss my legs too, I want them back!! Who in the crap steals them from us? oh right (The Devil a.k.a. Wendy's)!!!! I am so glad you got out, that probably felt sooo good, and hello, it looks so warm (totally jealous)!

Haslem Family said...

What a fun time! I miss St. George, and I miss you!!!

Shanna said...

Holy crap, those are the smallest little bird legs....

Melissa said...

Game on!!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you made it up and back down the mountain in one piece (not because I didn't think you could, just because of recent events)--I thought of you all that day! Way to go with tennis, too!

sstevens said...

You do have very nice legs. I think you look great though Steph. Good for you to take some time for yourself. I think we all need to do that every now & again.