
I've been having a rough week trying to deal with my very determined 2 year old. He is stuck right in the middle of the terrible twos. But it got really bad about a week ago when we took him to Wal-mart and let him pick out a tractor. The catch was that he had to pay with his binkies. The check-out lady was very helpful with this. She even gave him his own receipt. He had only been allowed his binks at night, but we decided it was time to get rid of them for good. So now he throws tantrums for no reason at all. He'll just scream and throw himself on the floor, no matter where we are or who is around. He has also stopped obeying and stopped taking naps. Needless to say, I need a vacation. But through all of this, I am slowly learning the lessons my sweet Carter is here to help me learn. He is a good boy and I love him. I am so proud to be his mom. He tries so hard to do what is right and make me happy---98% of the time. And one day I'll be so glad for his little determined (read:VERY STUBBORN) streak because it will help him do what he knows is right. He's having a hard time because he can't do the things he wants or eat the food he wants or stay up when he wants and I understand why he's frustrated, he just doesn't know all the words he wants to use right now and crying is much easier. I have also learned that he came to me this way. Savanna is the complete opposite. She smiles all day long. I can't take credit for that, either. She came to me that way too. (I am so so thankful for this! I would probably be in the psych ward right now if I had two of Carter!) So, very slowly, I am learning to be patient. And I have my Carter to thank. So, if I happen to drop him by your house for a few hours because he is driving me crazy, help me remember this!

P.S. There is a huge sale right now at Old Navy. You know how therapeutic shopping can be!!
5 comments:
So funny and I can so relate. And because my Kylie is the same way, she still has her binky at night. I am not prepared to go through that right now. But, it will soon be my time too! Good luck.
You are such a good mom, what a cute idea that he has to pay for his toys with binkies. Mom's are so creative!!! Hang in there, he'll get through this stage. Some stages are funner than others, but it's these stages that makes us appreciate the next!!! If I lived closer I would drive over to your house and pick him up so you could have a little R&R
You are not alone! We all have those moments with our kids...some of my mom's best advice to me was to "be consistent" and not give in during the tantrum throwing episodes. Same thing with potty training. If you're going to go for it, GO FOR IT. It has been great advice. Sam isn't much of a binky girl but Hallie sure was! I finally cut off the nipple part and told her she was big now and the binky's are 'broken'. Harsh, but it worked. She would find a few lying around and hold them up and say, 'broken'. Then I'd help her throw the remainder away. It also made it so I couldn't give in. Good luck.
Your kids are simply beautiful!
Oh I remember those days! Macy did the same thing when we took her binkie- no naps, crying... I knew that there was NO way we were done with naps so I had to find some other way to get her down. We have "quiet time" and I let her lay in her bed (around nap time) and she gets to watch whatever movie she wants. She always ends up falling asleep we just can't call it a nap! Hope it helps!
We would love for you to come see us and for sure do some shopping! I intend to hit Old Navy tommorow! THanks! P.S. your kids are darling...terrible 2's and all!
oooh those binkies! WE had only 2 pacifiers left and I couldn't find anymore at any store when Tag was just over a year. He chewed through one (since they were so old) and the next day, did the same to the other, so that is how the binky ended for Tag! I guess I am glad now that I don't have to be paying for tractors with his binkies! Good luck! We aren't having binky problems, just other major tantrums as well! Gotta love those toddlers!
Post a Comment