Thursday, March 1, 2012

I need your help...Vol. 1.

Hello everybody.  I am hoping you can help me out here.  I know there are so many of you out there with great ideas and more experience than me at this mom thing so I need your expertise.

Volume 1= Kid Safety
This has been on my mind as of late.  How are you teaching your children to be safe?  How do you teach them about strangers or what to do if they get lost or hurt?  We talked about it at FHE one week and I think I scared them half to death.  Savanna came up with nightmares twice that week.  I wanted it to sink in and for them to realize there is danger.  But how do you do it without frightening them half to death?
So I thought about how my mom taught us.  My mom was the greatest.  She had the best ideas for raising us and I use as many as I can remember with my kids.   The first thing that popped into my head for safety was the SAFETY KIDS tapes.

 I still remember my phone number from when I was 5 because of those songs.  I really like all the BRITE music stuff.  We have Take Your Hat Off that teaches about patriotism and my kids love it.  You should hear Hal sing about George Washington, but I digress...
Did any of you have the Safety Kids stuff?  Well, they have a digital download now that I purchased and burned to CDs for the car.  We printed off the booklets to color as well.  We listened to the first one last night and the kids were hooked.  They loved all the same songs that I used to love.  And they all learned our new phone number last night.  I was a little worried that it would be outdated, but I totally think all the information was still pertinent.  This is helping me feel a bit more prepared.  The world today is just so scary.  Do any of you have suggestions for me?


p.s. Sorry for the blurry pictures.  I was holding the baby and my camera is too heavy (actually, I am a wimp.)

4 comments:

MinDee said...

We make it fun! We usually do this at FHE too. We role play different situations. It seems to make it more fun & a little lighter way to teach but not scare! (Although, I haven't done this yet with the 2 smallest) Guess it's time to have another FHE lesson for all of them and do some more role playing :)

Alldredge Memories said...

I LOVED the Safety Kids!!! I am so glad you found that download! I am printing it out as I type! I have used the "scare the heck out of them" tactic as well and all my kids say is "why?" "Why would that happen?" They don't get it....I hope this will help! Thanks for the link!

Kari said...

That sounds so fun - I remember a little bit of safety kids too - I'll have to check that out.

Rachel said...

LOVE Safety Kids.

I don't know why it doesn't scare my kids, but we do talk about it a lot. In a matter-of-fact way. Like, while we're changing clothes and someone thinks it's funny to start smacking someone else in the tush *ahem*, I say things like, "we don't touch other people in places that are covered by underwear, and if anyone ever touches you there, you tell me, okay?"

Isaiah is super friendly and makes friends wherever he goes (like a 5-hour flight to Maui where he didn't sit next to us, and became best friends with the couple in his row...), so we've had to teach him to be more wary of strangers. It's tough. We try to do it without being scary, or making everyone into a bad guy. But kids' shows and stories (esp fairy tales) are great for showing that there is always someone who might want to hurt you and you can't always tell who it is, so we just point out that we don't know why they are that way, just to follow safety rules and tell a parent if there's something wrong and they will be okay.

You're such a great mom :) They have a good foundation, they will be safe!