
This month I have chosen to focus on NUTRITION. I know that is a broad topic, but I didn't want it to be very specific. I want it to encompass a lot. It includes: making nutritious dinners for my family, snacking healthy for me and the kids, preparing and planting my garden, and just eating better in general.

So, I have a few things to tell you about to start. KEFIR. My mom introduced me to this. Kefir is a cultured, enzyme-rich food very similar to yogurt, filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your "inner ecosystem." More nutritious and therapeutic than yogurt, it supplies complete protein, essential minerals, and valuable B vitamins.
History has it, that the Caucasus mountain people from Russia were the first to start making kefir. As a result of drinking kefir, they lived extraordinary healthy long lives. And as the tradition and knowledge of making kefir from real kefir grains was passed down generation after generation, it slowly made it's way around the globe.

Benefits:
Improves digestion and absorption of essential vitamins and minerals
Treats constipation, diarrhea, colon cancer and even inflammatory bowel syndrome
Is effective in treating ulcers
Regulates both the blood pressure and blood sugar levels and even cholesterol
Is used as a treatment for various respiratory conditions
Effective against acne, eczema and various skin disorders
Fortifies the body’s immune system
Improves the body’s defenses and resistance to diseases
Has anti aging or anti oxidant properties
Has anti stress properties that lets you feel relaxed after drinking it
Slows and stops tumor growth
Prevents Kidney Stones
So, basically, I have those little grains that look like Cauliflower. I pour milk over them and let them grow or ferment for a day. Then every morning I strain the milk/yogurt off and put the grains in a new glass jar and drink the yogurt mixture. I particularly like mine mixed into a smoothie. I just mix a little protein powder, frozen fruit, flax, and sometimes juice. My kids all love it too. So let me know if you want to try it. You can split it and do starts sort of like that friendship bread.
Kefir.net
One last thought for now. The Lord gave us the Word of Wisdom. He wants us to follow it and I know that he will help us as we try to be more healthy. It may not be something that you usually pray for, but I think that if we strive to be more nutritious and ask for help, He will help us. Just a thought.
Great health blogs:
A Daily Dose of Dieting
Get off you butt and get fit
8 comments:
You have no idea how much I admire you. You are ambitious without being pretentious. You set fabulous goals for yourself and your family. You motivate me to do the same simply by example. Really, thanks. You rock.
I have heard of kefir! I want to try some! We are focusing on nutrition here at our house as well! Wahoo! We're trying to slowly rid our cuboards of all things processed...which to my ultimate surprise was much more inclusive than what I thought! (yoplait yogurt, granola bars... cereal... all those things I thought were healthy for you ;)
Its a whole lot more work to have to make things from scratch (like our cereal), but we are feeling so much better knowing that its better for us!
Now, how do I go about getting me some kefir? Those benefits looked pretty enticing!
I used to make my own kefir but after awhile i couldnn't stand drinkingit anymore. we jsut take the pills now!! not as effective but still good for us!!!
Great Goal! I buy the Kefir you get in the store and really like it in my smoothies. I think the brand is Lifeway or something like that. Is that the same stuff?? I have no idea? Thanks for the insights!
Can't wait to try it! Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to be more healthy too. We all should. It's better. :)
i have never heard of it, huh, I learned something new today! PS I missed your last post, happy belated birthday Mike! PS I got into that preschool, when I called yesterday there were only 4 openings left, it will be so fun!!! Play date next week?
I love your goals, they inspire me to be better, but right now, if I eat at all I'm happy! Tell Mike happy b-day from us!
Thanks so much! Do I need to use a clean glass jar every day?
Post a Comment