
This month's theme is Scripture Study.
I feel like this is a good one for me. I have been preparing my v.t. message and this quote just hit me. It is amazing.
"We want our sisters to be scholars of the scriptures. . . . You need an acquaintanceship with his eternal truths for your own well being, and for the purposes of teaching your own children and all others who come within your influence."3
"We want our homes to be blessed with sister scriptorians—whether you are single or married, young or old, widowed or living in a family. . . . Become scholars of the scriptures—not to put others down, but to lift them up!"4
President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985).
I decided that I want to be a "sister scriptorian". Isn't that great? I don't want to just read the scriptures, though that is a great place to start. I want to really understand. I loved scripture chases in Seminary. I knew where are the books were and felt like I had a good scripture base. Institute helped as well. But I'm ashamed to admit that I can't recite all of my scripture mastery scriptures anymore. So this month is my month to really jump in. I'm getting myself some new scripture marking pencils in a variety of colors. I am also going to invest in a book to help with my understanding. Sometimes my mind just tunes out a little if it's something I'm not totally getting. I think this will help. You can also get all 4 sets of scripture mastery cards for $1 at the distribution center. So, I'm going to DO IT!
Here are a few great websites:
Scripture reading charts
Readthescriptures.com
Scripture Color Coding
12 Ways to study the scriptures
LDSScripture Tools
Scripture Power song
Sugardoodle Scripture Page
Scripture FHE
.jpg)

August 2008
p.s. Although I couldn't narrow it down to one, I have put one of my favorite scriptures on my left sidebar. What is your favorite scripture?
11 comments:
Definitely something that can always be worked on... :)
Okay--1)I love your scripture ideas, I think I'll get myself some colored pencils! 2) Holy Cow your rendition of Piano Fantasy was awesome and I want the music so bad! It looks so fun to play, no wonder you couldn't wait to record it. And 3) I think I'm going to add Modern Family to the mix, I laughed hard. Thanks again for the entertainment!
Great idea ... that's my worst thing.
Also, Carter is such a baby in this picture! He's getting too big...
way to go! that's a great goal to have. i love the scriptures.
I started in January with the YW. I am loving it. I didn't know I didn't know so much! Did you get "The Book of Mormon Made Easier"? It's awesome...huge help! I'll call ya when I have sec for CS4. Crazy week. Sick kids!
You're so great! I should make it a goal just to READ my scriptures this month! I'm a major slacker. However, if you're looking for a great scripture-helper book, we have one we really love. It's called "Unlocking the Book of Mormon" and is by Ludlow, Pinegar, Allen, Otten and Caldwell (yeah, tons of authors). It has the actual BoM text on one column and notes, quotes and historical facts on the other column... side by side. It's super easy to follow, fun to get insight without having to skip back and forth, and really just very interesting.
Anyway- good luck on your quest! :) And thanks for being such a great example.
I need to be better at reading my scriptures, somedays it feels like it's one more thing to add to my mommy "to do" list, But I am terrible with scripture stories and the people in them. I have even called samson the wrong names, samson and samori-oh my, can you imagine if I send my kids to school calling samson those wrong name....i need to get myself together!!!
I don't think anyone can go wrong wanting to improve upon their knowledge of the scriptures. I want to be a scholar of the scriptures too. I loved the last part of that quote, "...not to put people down but to lift them up." As we study and learn, we lift OURSELF to new heights as well.
One of my very favorite scriptures that I think sometimes gets overlooked is Moroni 7:13. I think so often people (women especially for some reason) second guess their intentions or ideas or goals or abilities or whatever! Often times we wonder, "Is that just me talking, or is that the Spirit talking to me?" When I find myself wondering if what I am about to do or say is from the Spirit, I think of this scripture. All I have to ask myself is, "Is it good?" Because if it is, then it's from God. (I could go on and on but I'll stop now.) :)
Thanks for a great post.
We are so on the same wave length-- On Sat. I bought the Book of Mormon that looks like a real book [because it was on clearance for $5:)]and just randomly read Alma 30-31 while at the park with Jack today. Shamefully I haven't really read the scriptures in years--I can't believe how much better my day was. I'm approaching it as a novel--
I'm right there with you sista! I made the same goal this month! We are also striving to have regular family scripture study-and have a plan and everything! Aren't you supposed to be more successful if you tell someone? So, that's what I did!
Ill have to say, if I can say, the greatest chapter of recorded scripture (I agree there may be single verses that come close but I'll have to think which ones would) but chapter, the greatest chapter, Isaiah Chapter 53 without question my favorite!
Post a Comment