Saturday, February 20, 2010

A little bit of me

I know I usually post stuff about my kids. So I decided I would do a post about me.
A little background info:
About 2 years ago, I got my ipod for christmas. My sister put a bunch of stuff on it for me. Among the songs was an amazing piano solo that didn't have a name. It just said 'piano'. I became nearly obsessed with this song and did everything I could think of to find out what it was called and look for the sheet music. I played the recording for an iphone that has an app that recognizes songs. Nothing. I tried websites that did the same thing. I searched musicians who's music sounded similar. It wasn't until this week that I had a breakthrough. (I realize that it is only a song. This is starting to sound like Cold Case.) Anyway, I have really been enjoying the Olympics this year. A few days ago during the pairs ice skating, the Chinese pair Zheng & Zheng did their short program to this song. I felt this was my breakthrough. Somebody had to know what song they skated to. I searched for a few days then enlisted my sister to help with the search. She found the name of my song (thanks Mind). Piano Fantasy. I tried in vain all day to print my song with no luck. Nearly 12 hours later, after buying it twice and printing it at my neighbor's (thanks steph), I had my song. And I wanted to share it with you. I realize that I could have just given you the movie of the ice skating and then you could hear it and watch them skate, but I decided I wanted to record me playing it. I have been playing the piano for such a long time, but I can't think of many recordings of me playing. So my plan was to practice and practice until it was perfect and then perform it for you. I am sorry. I couldn't wait. I had to do it. Here it is. Piano Fantasy by William Joseph.
Things to remember:
I have only had it for a few days, so please excuse my multiple mistakes.
I know my pedal squeaks and my piano is slightly out of tune. Please don't let that distract you.
Also, I know it isn't centered. I set my camera on my couch for the filming.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


And in case my piano teacher ever sees it: Sharon, I know my wrists are high when I'm doing the octaves. I didn't realize until watching it back. They are now bouncier. I love that I still hear your voice in my head. When I get it really learned, I'd love to play it for you.

15 comments:

Clark Family said...

You are amazing!

Mindy said...

That was wonderful! I'm totally impressed ... and I ran into Sharon's across-the-street neighbor who was getting his fingerprints done at work the other day. He said he'd say hello from us ...
I love that you put the video up, and I LOVE that we finally found the music!!

Kylene said...

Inspiring!

My favorite part was after the second page turn when the music totally shifted and went all dance like. You are so talented! Thanks for sharing a little bit more about *You*.

Melissa Hernandez said...

So cool! I took one piano lesson, and then my grandma didn't want to teach me anymore......guess the piano was not for me. When people use to ask me what instrument I liked to play I always said, 'The radio." It's still my favorite (LOL)!!!! Once my kids get feeling better we need to do a play date!

Brooke Snow said...

Fabulous! It makes me want to go start practicing again! Sure helps to have a piece that is inspiring to you! I'm so glad you found the music!

Rachel said...

I have always loved listening to you play . . . so fun to find such an inspiring piece of music. Thanks for sharing this!

Jenny said...

You are FREAKING AMAZING.....I hope you know that!!!!! :) Loved it.

Becky Knowles said...

Thank goodness you watched the olympics! It's beautiful, and you really are very impressive. I'm a little bit jealous, but mostly just very impressed.

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
you are so full of talent!!
its sick LOL
miss you luv you!!

leslie

Alldredge Memories said...

Seriously...I am going to quit trying! I wish I had a smidge of the talent that you have in your little finger! You Go Girl! Loved it! P.S. Remember that you are playing/singing at my funeral someday...You promised! :D

bladenfamily said...

Thank you all so much for making me feel so good about myself. Really, it wasn't my intent. It sure has been nice though.

JaMilLyN said...

Wow, Stephanie, that was quite impressive. I forgot that you play. You are seriously awesome and that was cool to listen to. You may have just made me regret quitting piano lessons when I was younger. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow good job!! I am glad you got the music and you play it so beautiful!!

Bec said...

I'm totally impressed! And yes, what a beautiful song.

Melissa said...

Kaitlyn says "holy cow"!! and recognized your pj's. :)
PS Buddy is laying bird eggs!!!