Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Camera Stuff

I've had a few people ask lately, so here is a little info about my camera and editing.
**Remember, I am totally a beginner! I only just got my camera a few months ago. If you want to take real lessons, my friend Brooke that recently took my pictures teaches classes and she is GREAT!

My camera:
Canon T1i
I love her. She is the best! Along with taking beautiful pictures, this little baby also takes video in high definition. So, you could sell your video camera and use the money to pay for the new camera. That is what I did.


My new lens:
I got this lens. It is different from the lens that comes in the kit. I have really been enjoying it.


I took this online class when I first got my camera. It is free. It got me off to a good start.

Editing:
I am the furthest thing from an expert at this, just so you know. But here is what I do.
I usually start in Camera Raw. It is very similar to Lightroom. If you don't have one of these programs, PICNIK is a free, online site with a lot of fun stuff. Anyhoo, I just tweak a few things until I like how it looks. I usually make it brighter and boost the contrast a little. A lot of times I will leave it at that. BUT, if I am feeling adventurous or want to play around a little bit, I might run an action. The Pioneer Woman has some wonderful Photography information including some free actions. But if you're using PS Elements then check out COFFEETEAPHOTOGRAPHY.BLOGSPOT.COM. They have a ton of free stuff for PS and PSE.
The action I used on my previous post is from this website. It is called SPLENDOR B&W. Quick and easy! Have fun with it.

So, I've shared practically everything I know. Good luck and email me if you have any questions. Now let me in on your favorite stuff! What do you do?

5 comments:

Kim and Dustin Mayhew said...

I LOVE your camera but just simply can't afford one right now. When should we do our photo shoot? We need to work together more often (in fact, we just need to work MORE). Have you been getting cut a ton too?

Kari said...

Thank you! I'm going to check out all of these sites that I haven't been to. I think you already know everything I've ever done - because you've already done it! :)

Unknown said...

I just let my wife take all the pictures.

Alldredge Memories said...

I think Mike just likes to be IN the pictures and that's why he lets you take them Steph'! LOL! Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming!

Tami said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU for the links! I especially like the coffeeteaphotography blog with all the actions-I have done a lot of this on photoshop-but it took a lot of time to make it look right-how nice to have it all cued up and ready to go!!! another of my friends who does professional photography reccommended the same lens as you, so maybe I'll get that before my 18-200mm :) Although, baseball season is around the corner, and a zoom lens would come in handy.... ;)