Friday, December 18, 2009

Never thought I would...



... learn the noble game of CURLING. Last night at Mike's work Christmas Party, he arranged for some people to come teach us the basics. I thought I would participate in honor of my Canadian friend Kourtney. When we were visiting her family in Alberta, they had a Curling arena. I thought it was funny. Anyway, they first created a curling sheet which is just a long lane with hot water sprinkled on it that creates little pebbles that the curling stones slide on. I saw this in the Olympics a few years ago and thought it looked easy. It is NOT easy. The curling stones are very heavy granite that only comes from a little island in Scotland. I really like Scotland so I thought that was neat. Plus my friend Melissa got to go there last year. But I digress...So you hold a broom in one hand and the stone in the other. One foot is on a very slippery foot shaped thing called a slider and you drag your other foot behind you. Then you just push off the 'hack' and slide until you're ready to let go of the stone. Then there are a few people that go in front of the stone and brush their little brooms on the ice to speed up the stone. It was a lot of fun. So if you ever have the opportunity to try it you should. And there you have way more than you ever wanted to learn about Curling. So sad I forgot my camera. Maybe next time. They have a club here. Maybe I'll join...probably not.

7 comments:

Weight Family said...

Wow... I am totally impressed.

Alldredge Memories said...

I am always amazed at the things you are willing to try. I want to be like you someday and step out of my box a little bit more. LOL! Sounds fun! P.S. Dustin sent your books back the other day...let me know when you get them.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is super cute!! Thanks for inviting me!! Way to have some Canadian spirit with the curling!!

Janea said...

You are always doing something fun. :( P.S. I LOVE your Christmas picture posted as your header. So stinkin' cute!

Melissa Hernandez said...

way to try something new...your too cute! I got your text the other night, I would love to see what the house looks like, do you think she would care if one day I knocked on the door and introduced myself??...LOL.....she would probably think I am crazy!!! Did it look the same?

MinDee said...

good for you! i've never heard of curling before. i wish you would've had your camera...that would've been fun to see. ;)
P.S. Hope you guys have a merry christmas!!

Mindy said...

We got the card, and I love it. Take me curling next time you go please. And we'll see you tomorrow!