Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's gonna be a GREAT weekend...

We are coming up on one of my very most favorite weekends of the entire year. Things just come together for me this weekend. It is October, my favorite month. It gets colder, you know, fallish weather. That means soup. And of course, Conference Weekend. We only get 2 of these a year. They are special. So, to go along with that I have a fun idea, a recipe, and a favorite memory.
Fun Idea:
We did this last year and it was a hit! It was in the October 2008 Friend. The basic idea is to make a tent to watch Conference in just like the people in Mosiah when they came to listen to King Benjamin.
Conference Reverence Tent

One of my favorite soup recipes goes right along with my favorite memory.
Creamy Potato Soup
1 c. chopped onion 3/4 c. flour
1 c. diced celery 1 tsp salt
1 c. diced carrots 1 tsp sugar
3 c. cubed potatoes dash pepper
8 oz Velveeta cheese
1 qt. half & half
3/4 c. butter
Put onion, celery, and potatoes in soup pan. Add enough water to cover veggies. Cook til tender (20-30 min). In a separate pan, melt butter. Add flour and stir. Take off stove and add half & half. Whisk til smooth. Return to stove an heat until thickened. Add cheese. Mix well until cheese melts. Add cream mixture to soup pan with water and veggies. Add salt, sugar, and pepper.

Bread sticks (really the best)
Dissolve 1 tbsp yeast in 1.5 c. warm water. ADd 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir in 3 c. flour with fork. (I usually do 1 c. wheat flour) Let rest 10 minutes in a warm place. Roll out flat on pastry cloth of floured surface. Cut into sticks. Melt 3/4 c. marg. or butter on cookie sheet. Put bread sticks on and roll in butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, parsley flakes, or salad supreme.
Let rest 10 minutes. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

This is probably my favorite meal in the entire world. I request it for every birthday I spend with my mom.
Favorite memory: I remember one wintery day when I was a sophomore in high school and it was snowing. Huge flakes were falling so it wasn't the freezing, wet snow. I went running with my mom and her running buddies after school. I remember feeling so good during that run. I loved being warm because I was exercising. And it was so pretty with the snow falling. Then as I walked in the door I smelled this soup. My entire family was there for dinner and I really love these breadsticks. It was one of my very favorite days. That's all. There is potential for the weekend to be sensational. I hope it's a good one for you, too.
Thumbs up!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

You are making me hungry!!

Mindy said...

Excellent recipe. And good story ... I remember a lot of days like that.

Manna needs to work on her thumbs "up".

Alldredge Memories said...

Look at you and your photo shop skills---I am very impressed! Can't wait to try the breadsticks! YuMmY!

Kylene said...

I love new recipe's, especially fun fall soup recipes! Thanks for sharing. Are you coming up here soon? Target is calling your name. ;)