This is long. I don't want to forget.
We left at 1 am on Saturday morning and drove through Wyoming into Nebraska. We reached North Platte and took a little break for breakfast. Then we decided to keep heading east to where the storms were going to develop later in the afternoon. I had been keeping a close eye on the radar and spc's predicted weather reports so I had a pretty good idea where we wanted to head. We got to about Grand Island and decided to break for lunch. Turns out we had arrived a few hours too early because we were so excited. So we went to the Walmart and goodwill where I found some darling shoes for $3. Then we followed my storm chaser app to these storm chasers and asked if we could follow them for the day. They were wonderful! They taught us so much. Nicest guys around. And we didn't have to pay them thousands of dollars like you normally would for guidance like this. I felt like it was Christmas. Sadly, we only saw funnel clouds that didn't touch the ground so they weren't technically tornados. I guess we'll have to go back!
Me and Terry Swails, a famous TV meteorologist from Iowa.
Our supercell thunderstorm forming.
Our Team. :)
Beautiful rainbow as we were racing across the Nebraska farmland.
This is true, as long as there are Tornados!!
My $3 shoes!
My sister texted and asked if there were any tornados yet. I sent her this picture of the sky.
We were driving home through this stuff and there were 8 tornados that touched down all around us. We went through 5 different tornado warnings. I have an app on my phone that comes on with a Tornado warning and tornado siren and says "There is a tornado in your immediate vicinity--take cover now!" That was scary because by this time it was dark. There was lightning all around us like strobe lights. Every time we saw a flash we would look at the dark clouds for funnels. It was so cool. And very scary. I much prefer tornados in the daylight.
Flood warning. It was so deep.
Mammatus clouds.
This was a tad bit scary.

















5 comments:
Nerd!
When is the next trip? Lucas might want to tag along ...
Looks like you had a fabulous time! I'm so glad you got to go!
OOOH! Looks like fun! How cool you just got to take off and drive to Nebraska! Love the shoes!
Awesome
Post a Comment