Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My Grandpa Gunnell

My first grandparent died and it hit me pretty hard.  I knew it would happen eventually, but I was still so unprepared.  You see, my Grandpa Gunnell is pretty great.  I inherited so much from him.  Kidney stones, love of reading, Carter's headaches, music, love of gardening, different colored children (just like his family, I have a red head, blondie, and brunette-all with different colored eyes)  Pretty fun.  He had the best garden.  One of my happiest places is his row of peas.  He was in the Navy during WW2 and was showing Carter the airplane he flew.  It was a B24 bomber.

 Peas.

He made so many things out in his wood shop. I think it was one of his most favorite places.  


I took these pictures when Asher was only a few weeks old.  It was inspiration for sure to take these pictures.  They are some of my most favorite pictures ever.  
This is how he lived his life.  I never heard him say a mean thing about somebody.  Ever.  He had a way of making everybody think they were his favorite.  I've been trying to be more like him.  Mike and I did a musical number at his funeral.   The spirit was so strong.  He was really a neat guy.  I'm sure everybody feels this way about their grandparents, but I think he was the best.   I love you Grandpa!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

What a great post. I still don't feel like he's gone.